Ant Download Manager (AntDM) Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New user with some questions & requests

2 posters

Go down

New user with some questions & requests Empty New user with some questions & requests

Post by musterfox Fri 23 Feb - 12:54

Hi Ant devs. Smile

1) Is it possible in AntDM to download video files as they are (meaning as .mp4/.avi etc. instead of the "temporary" format used) so that they can be viewed by the user as the files are being downloaded?

The fact that Ant download the files as a "temp" file and then "reassembles" it at the very end has two major disadvantages -
i) The file cant be viewed during download
ii) The assembly process used to create the final file takes almost DOUBLE the space of the original file during the process (although the file is eventually auto deleted)

2) Is it possible in Ant to start download of a file to one folder and then automatically move the file to another folder once the download has been completed? I could see no way of doing this.

musterfox

Back to top Go down

New user with some questions & requests Empty Re: New user with some questions & requests

Post by antdm Sat 24 Feb - 5:35

Thank you for your questions!

#1 You yourself answered your question!
The streaming media protocols split the file into many small files. In addition, often the video is separate from the sound.
AnDM downloads files in not the direct order. Some files come faster, others slower, others with network errors.
This video can not be displayed until assembled. In addition, the assembly provides additional synchronization of video and audio.

#2 No. The video files are large. Time of copying from place to place is long, and the user in his mass is irritable and impatient. He wants to get his file right away, not wait. Therefore, the destination folder for the destination file is also temporary. This greatly reduces the download time.

antdm

Back to top Go down

New user with some questions & requests Empty Re: New user with some questions & requests

Post by musterfox Sat 24 Feb - 12:38

Thanks for the quick reply. Please take my post below as positive suggestions towards improving ANT as that is my intention. Smile

Regarding your response -
The current download manager I am using fully supports downloading a video file in its native format (rather than as a temp file)  and therefore allows the user to preview it at any time while its being downloaded - WITH proper sound sync in mid download stream. So its not a question IF the feature is possible to implement because its already supported by other download managers.

My request was for you to support this in Ant specifically - just like other download managers do.  

Another big advantage to doing things  this way is that you dont need twice the space to download the file - it is downloaded "as is" using only as much space as the file requires. In the case of Ant, double the space is required as the file needs to be reconstructed on completion.

While I agree video files can be large, I was asking for the "move on completion" feature to be added only for those users who required it.

So what I was asking for was simply to add an option in maybe
Config > Automation section
where a user can enable an option stating (for example) -

Move Completed file to Alternate Location

and then choose a location of their choice.

Please see image area marked in RED for what I mean. Smile
New user with some questions & requests <a href=New user with some questions & requests Ant"

musterfox

Back to top Go down

Post by antdm Sat 24 Feb - 12:52

#1. Please, specify the name of the other manager and the example of a stream video link.
#2. Thanks. May be it will be added in the future.
      Aslo you can create bat file for example d:\copy.bat (xcopy /Y/D/E/C "%1" d:\) and put it to field "Anti-virus app". I think the result will be the same.

antdm

Back to top Go down

Post by musterfox Sat 24 Feb - 14:37

FDM 3.9.7 Lite (FlashGot browser Plugin required if you want to cap live streams). Note that Flashgot is not supported in Mozilla 56.x onward which is why I am trying out Ant.

However Stream cap is not so important to me. Whats more important is that I be able to preview files as they are being downloaded and FDM Lite allows this without issue (FlashGot is not required for direct downloads of video files). The only site I have come across from my experience where FDM Lite does not work is Youtube - as the downloaded video has no audio stream. It works just fine on other sites.

Not sure if XCopy will help. However the MOVE command might just do the trick! Thanks for the suggestion. Will try this out for sure.

musterfox

Back to top Go down

Post by musterfox Sat 24 Feb - 15:57

At first nothing was happening then I noticed maybe you meant %1 rather than "%1".

Once I changed that it works exactly as I want in conjunction with the MOVE command.

Many thanks! Very Happy

musterfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down